Because Alexander or Alex Smirnov seems to be a fairly popular name in Russian-speaking countries, it may be a good idea to distinguish myself from all other individuals with the same name. I have received one too many emails from people who are looking for Alex Smirnov, just not this one in particular. So this is a set of otherwise useless facts about me that should narrow down your search:
- Born in Slovakia and grew up in the town of Martin.
- Attended Secondary Grammar School (Gymnazium) in Vrutky.
- Graduated from Comenius University (Univerzita Komenskeho) in Slovakia and Stony Brook University (NY).
- I am a geologist by schooling, but exchanged the fieldwork for a laboratory some time ago.
- I am a college professor on Long Island.
- asmirnov is derived from my first unix login name (back in Slovakia) and is short for Alex Smirnov
- My first name is Alexander but since I arrived in the US, nobody really bothered to call me by my full name.
- I do not speak Russian (well, very little), but I do speak Slovak and English
Now that you are sure, you got the right Alex Smirnov, you can get in touch with me using:
- email: asmirnov.org->at<-gmail.com
- Gtalk: asmirnov.org
- Skype: sasasmir
The map is provided courtesy of InstaMapper.com, also responsible for the cool iPhone application. The position on the map is approximate and only updates when I travel. If the map hasn’t been updated for a while, it means I am on Long Island and the only travel I do is between my home and work. There are naturally some privacy implications of this but I do not worry much about them as I have to manually turn the iPhone application on to start tracking.